The Kamasutra – how frequently we hear this notion. Nevertheless, not every person understands the genuine meaning this book has, because the dominating majority associates it only with sex positions and no more. Certainly, to some extend such an opinion is quite truly, because one of the chapters indeed is dedicated to the latter topic. However, the book contains many other chapters, which narrate about various ideas and aspects related to relationship between man and woman.
Nowadays, no matter what social background an individual may have, to what gender identity or confession one may belong to, or how many years she or he has, – almost everyone’s heard of the Kamasutra. Still anyone may wonder, what the “mysterious” book means in the terms of daily life. Is it true, that the only thing mentioned in the Kama Sutra and may be useful for a couple is just a number of sex positions? No way. Sure enough, it contains the chapters which provide a profound perception not only of the art of sexual relationships, but also of a very core of the spiritual affinity of the two base principles. Moreover, it is possible to receive a straight answer on a cordial question related to a relationship between man and woman. Additionally, the book provides an opportunity to see your life partner in a different light and find common ground that will help any couple to be on cloud nine.
As you have already noticed, the sense of this ancient text lies much deeper than anyone could have ever imagined. That’s why, for everyone interested in such an amazing historical piece of art, we have decided to set up the site, where we gathered and systematized the information related to the book, making it loud and simple. Having read the article, you will discover the most important and interesting features concerning the Kamasutra, as follows:
The Kamasutra. What is it?
Definitely, this book has nothing in common with sexual gymnastics. The Kamasutra represents a set of reliable and proven ancient Indian knowledge and traditions composed many centuries ago.
The Kama Sutra is a scientific treatise about experience of true love, aimed to settle and harmonize a multi-level relationship a woman and a man may have, starting from every day’s life to intimate and inwardness of their match, providing the reaching of Kama (sensual satisfaction).
Introducing a thorough and serious investigation, the text provides a deep reader not only with ability to know a true meaning of love between man and woman, but also opens the mind to a better understanding of human nature along with his or her partner one.
Myths of the Kamasutra
The main misapprehensions, which a modern human may have concerning the sense and content of the Kamasutra, are based on the initial impression experienced by the Europeans and provoked by a translation of the book in the end of XIX century.
- This book is about sexual pleasure (the compendium of sex positions). Only 20 % of the text contains a description of the particular sex positions. The rest tells us about a deliberate and general investigation of genders in their mere diversity. The ancient author’s life views, a travelling monk, still are the similar to the modern ones.
- The Kamasutra contains pictures. It should be noted, that the book contains almost none of the original illustrations. Everything, that a single publication may propose, is just a simple fake. Those images appeared in the book on their way to Europe. Frequently, instead of illustrations, a reader sees some samples of the Mongolian pictorial art. You can read more about the features that caused such a delusion here.
- It is the only book dedicated to the art of love of that time. In deed and not in name, as we have already mentioned, the Kamasutra represents not an original piece of work, but a compilation and revision of previously existing texts written by other authors on the topic. It is evident through the repeated references in the text of the Kama Sutra made to the various authors, in particular, Shatavahana and many others. A while later, some of not less important, but lesser known works were made. They were written by Indian philosophers, who either do warrant attention: Ananga Ranga, Ratirahasya , (Kāmashastra).
The Kamasutra and the contents of the book
The Kamasutra comprises of 7 parts, each of which, in its turn, is divided into several chapters. In overall, the book includes 36 chapters:
- Part 1: Introductory – represents an introduction, where are given general meanings of what love and closeness is, what does love mean either for a woman and a man, with further classification of women and men and their genitals.
- Part 2: On Sexual Union – This chapter examines different types of kisses and preludes. In addition, the chapter describes a number of the Kama Sutra sex positions and the influence made by them according to the deepness of an orgasm felt by either a woman or a man. Also, one can find information about paraphilia (experiencing of intense sexual arousal by unusual sexual interests or using culturally inadmissible ways) and love triangle (wife, husband and husband’s lover).
- Part 3: About the Acquisition of a Wife – here a man is provided with some pieces of advice aimed to the most effective searching for his future wife. Moreover, a reader is supplied with several important facts about courting a woman and how to set up a wedding.
- Part 4: About a Wife – This chapter is dedicated to the women, and specifically, how they should behave being a wife.
- Part 5: About the Wives of Other People – The chapter tells us about seduction and allurement of somebody else’s wives.
- Part 6: About Courtesans – This chapter is devoted to prostitutes and their profession.
- Part 7: On The Means of Attracting Others to One’s Self – This chapter includes information about the art of attracting people as well as various substances (aphrodisiacs) that enhance the sexual desire between the lovers.
For a more detailed overview, please, see the whole text of the Kamasutra book.
Who and when have created the Kamasutra?
The Kamasutra was written in Sanskrit by the philosopher and scientist of ancient India Vatsyayana Mallanaga. However, despite the fact, it will be incorrectly to name him the author as he performed in the role of compiler of the knowledge which had been collected earlier. That means that he compiled all the works written earlier on this subject by other authors, he rewrote and systematized them and represented the knowledge in more scientific form in his book with the title the “Kama Sutra”. It can be certified by the constant references of the author through the text on other resources, such as “Rules of love” or “Kama Shastra”, which was created approximately in the VII century before the Common Era and other, which were the sources for any given information. In other words, this book is nothing else but a finished and correctly compiled collection of previous works. However, it is doubtless that in the book we can find definitely distinctive approach of the author, his style and manner of writing.
How the Kamasutra became known all over the world?
From the time of its creation till the beginning of the XIX century the Kamasutra remained the asset of the exclusively Indian population, and if to be more precise, just of a little its part, in general of the elite (high casts). But it lasted till the moment when India was gradually colonized by English empire in XVIII-XIX centuries. In the process of the colonization, there was active development of territory and culture of the country by English people, and as a result, they discovered many ancient texts, including the Kama Sutra text.
What does the Kamasutra tell us about sex
What does sex mean. The Kamasutra interprets sex as a special feature in a result of which the male and female principles are to become one not only on the skin-to-skin, but also on a spiritual level. Sex represents not only a physical process, how many people may think; this is a process that engages body, feelings, emotions, sense of those who are in love with each other. It is a sensual game, in the terms of which the woman turns out to be a goddess, a favourite and desired one, and the man, in his turn, gets satisfaction having reached an orgasm not just by himself, but by his beloved woman.
What should a sex be consisted of. The Kamasutra is a tool with the help of which sex may turn out to have a sacramental sense, including our feelings and perception aimed at getting the most enjoyment. Thus, every feature, e.g. scents, surrounding, lightening etc, are to be full of intimacy, hinting at forthcoming act of love. A couple should get rid of everything out of their room, leaving behind all the worries. Here, there is enough room only for their mind, soul and body: only he and she do matter now. The prelude, or a sexual game, has to be in the highlight of such a ritual. Remaining an integral part of the game, while prelude, one is able to express all the emotions and love to which the author of the book pays great attention. The sex itself, actually, is the high point of this game. Even in some cases, there is no need for having sex.
Sex techniques. All the necessary information referring to the theme is given in the chapter 5. As outlined previously, the positions in the Kama Sutra are called “the arts”. In total, the author observes 8 main arts, each of which has 8 variants. Stated another way, the book contains 65 sex positions. All the positions are described in the second chapter named “Of love coition”. Sometimes, only this chapter is considered to represent the whole book. It is used to publish the text incorrectly, without paying any attention to the authentic translation. Also, the book provides the information of three existing types of men and women, eight variants of hugging, eight hoots, ten kinds of love and so on: one should observe a numeric symbolism almost in everything. Main numbers are three, eight, and those divisible by them. Most of the classifications used by the author are still up-to-date and spark interest even nowadays.
The Kamasutra nowadays
Curious enough, but in our times it is quite common practice to consider any collection of sex positions as “The Kama Sutra”. It does matter little to almost everyone that the original treatise introduces a lot more than it may seem to present at the back of its title. If you want to receive more than just a set of sex positions, I advise you to have a look at the original translation of this book. Being a genuine object of great value, lots of modern couples may find out many needy information. The book teach you the following essential thing:
Feel your partner’s pleasure as well as your own.
Having opened the doors of “Kama”, the ability to feel each other provides both partners with a sense of happiness and real desire.
In conclusion, we would like to say that the greatest myth related to sex is a belief that the more sex positions you know, the better lover you are. This is exactly not true. According to women and other specialists, no matter how many positions one may know, the only thing that does matter is your emotions both partners experience while having sex. Nevertheless, skilfulness and understanding how to use sex positions also plays a great role. And remember the main ordnance given by the author of the Kamasutra:
There is no happiness being in love affair if only one gets pleasure.